The crucial role of technology is to lead us towards more efficient & time-saving methods which help achieve our goals faster. The illustration of the workflow is to show what architects will lose if they do not adopt BIM methods.
Efficient Workflow vs. Typical Workflow
The typical workflow varies a lot from one project to another and involves different software at different stages. Also, while transferring the information to another software, there is a high possibility of data manipulation or, in some cases, the possibility of the data being lost.
Integrated Design Workflow using BIM
Schematic Design (SD):
Presentation, documentation, and analysis of the workflow is performed using a single software, unlike the traditional methods, where you need different software for different workflows.
The ability to explore various concepts in a faster and more efficient way through a 3D BIM model.
These 3D models allow various concepts to accurately analyze and provide the option to compare each concept against the zoning code or energy standards etc. Performing Sun-Path analysis and energy simulation is quicker and provides accurate data which supports the architect’s idea.
Design Development (DD):
- Parametric objects in a 3D BIM environment provide ease to change the design according to the architect’s will.
- Photorealistic rendering is faster that helps architects and clients in visualizing spaces and design.
- Fabrication workflow like 3D printing & laser cutting can be done from the Virtual Building Model.
- Generating and extracting information like the material quantity & the room finish schedule is easier compared to the manual counting process in CAD drafting.
- Allows collaborative decision-making
Construction Documentation (CD):
- Real-time sheet work is possible as BIM allows smart documentation while creating 3D models.
- “Change Anywhere Change Everywhere” concept helps make the revisions faster and a lot more efficiently, unlike traditional approaches.
- The on-site collaboration is easier using 3D BIM models which reduces frequent site visits and conflicts.
- Real-time communication makes the flow of the teamwork smoother.
- Interdisciplinary clash detection and coordination at fingertip saves time and energy.
- Accurate quantity takeoff helps with the onsite material savings.
- Project management & the integration of control tools becomes smooth and frictionless.
- 3D Information-rich model makes digital fabrication and manufacturing workflow easy.
- Shared risks and rewards
- Integration with FM and BMS without any data loss.
To sum up, Integrated Design Workflow or IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) saves 35% more time and allows these architects in delivering efficient projects.
Open an Online Studio and start delivering efficient projects.
Source: Virtual Building Studio